Search This Blog

Friday, January 6, 2012

Be Still



This morning was Drew's turn to read for our family study.  He picked Ps 46 and we read, discussed, and prayed about this text.  As they left for school I posted some of those verses to my facebook page.  As I sat down and pondered what did verse ten really mean by "cease striving" I looked up other translations.  I found most translated that phrase as "be still."  I looked up the definition of the word and found it had many different uses, but it actually meant here to lower the hands; to let drop; to attempt.  God says, "lower your hands and know I am God."  SAY WHAT???  We must remember that this text is dealing with God being our strength and refuge. Ps 46:1

We are so quick to fix things ourselves aren't we?  We don't need God in this situation.  We can handle it.  WE ARE WRONG!  This is a reminder of that.  We can defend ourselves, but we get so occupied being the best, fixing things ourselves, and defending ourselves we forget about the refuge and strength we have in the Lord.

I'm reminded of the story of the old and young lumberjacks.  There was a bet that the younger, arrogant, and conceited lumberjack could out work his older, humble, and wiser counter part.  The young guy started off in a fury.  He was swinging his ax over and over and over.  He never stopped swinging the ax or took a single break.   Now, the older lumberjack would take a 15 minute break after every tree he cut down.  At the end of the day the older lumberjack had nearly doubled the output of the younger lumberjack.  The young man shook the older man's hand and humbly congratulated him as the victor.  He asked the older guy how he did it.  He said, "I saw you sit down after every tree.  It doesn't make sense.  I should have won by a landslide.  I worked harder.  I'm faster and younger.  Please tell me how you did it?"  The older man sat him down and said, "After every tree I cut down I didn't sit down to take a break.  I sat down and sharpened my ax.  Life isn't always about you and your characteristics.  It's about making the most of what you've got."

I want to tell you today that if you are going through life working very hard and feel like you are still losing, you are swinging a dull ax.  Life is not about us.  Mt 22:37  We must put God first Lk 14:33 even when it seems like we will be left with nothing because God is our strength and refuge.  

Today, put down that dull ax and sharpen your sword with study of the Word.  Lower your hands and watch the Lord work in your life.  Submit to him and let God lead.  I advise everyone the same as Moses advised the Israelites, "Do not fear!  Stand by and see the salvation of the Lord which he will accomplish for you today..." Ex 14:13   Put down your dull ax today.  Lower you hands and know that God is our strength, refuge, and He is in control!


WHAT MUST I DO TO BE SAVED?

Hear The Word-  Rom 10:17; Acts 4:4

We Must Believe or Have Faith-  Heb 11:6; Acts 16:31

We Must Repent-  Lk 13:3; Acts 17:30

We Must Confess Christ Before Others-  Mt 10:32; Acts 8:37

We Must Be Immersed Into Christ (Baptized)-  1Pe 3:21; Mk 16:16; Acts 2:38  

We Must Remain Faithful-  Rev 2:10; Acts 14:22 

1 comment: